Tourist Must Have Fingers Amputated After Spider Bite in Ibiza

Tourist Must Have Fingers Amputated After Spider Bite in Ibiza

A 19-year-old British tourist has had to have two fingers amputated after he was bitten by a spider while on holiday in Ibiza.

 

The victim was bitten by the spider while watching the sunset on the beach. “I woke up at 5 a.m. the next morning with a burning and swollen hand,” said the teen. The boy went to a health centre on the island that same morning, where he received an injection.

When that didn’t help, he was transferred to Can Misses Hospital. “I panicked when my hands turned purple, and the doctors told me they had never seen anything like it,” the teen told local media.

Medics put him on an IV and ran a series of tests, revealing that a venomous brown fiddler spider had bitten him. The teen will now have to undergo surgery to amputate two fingers and part of another finger once his hand has healed.

The venom of a fiddler spider breaks down soft tissue. It can take months for wounds caused by a bite to heal. It also often leaves deep scars. Spiders are mainly found in the United States.

Leave a Reply

Back to top